Tuesday 18 February 2014

Leaf suncatcher mobile

I've been busy beavering away these last few days - lots of projects in various stages of completion! This one was a complete spur-of-the-moment 'let's experiment' project, inspired by my little pud. He's been driving me completely mental these last few weeks (months) refusing to stay still while I change his nappy. So when a friend of mine told me that her daughter behaves at nursery during nappy changes because of the pretty mobiles that hang on the ceiling, I decided to make something to distract my mischievous little boy.
When I was thinking about what to make, I remembered a craft project I did with the babies and mummies at my messy play classes. It was using clear book covering film and coloured tissue paper squares to create shaped suncatchers. I had some left over from the classes, so enlisted Stanley's help to create three pieces with different colour combinations. 
I used my lovely Unity Stamp Company chunky wooden leaf stamps and Jet Black StazOn inkpad to add the leaf impressions onto my coloured covering film, then carefully cut around each. I managed to get quite a few leaves from just three pieces! Leaves made perfect sense, as Stanley's room is very outside themed, with a huge tree and leaves on the walls, and clouds on his ceiling. This mobile fits the theme perfectly.
Once all the pieces were cut out, it was simply a case of using a sewing needle and coloured embroidery thread to hang up my leaves. I thought it would be nice to keep the theme authentic, so I took advantage of the UK's recent gales and found myself a recently blown-down branch and used this to hang the leaves from. I made sure I dried it out first, putting it in the oven on a very low heat for half an hour. Once placed in the window you can really see how the light shines through the tissue paper to create a 'suncatcher' effect.
I love the overall finished effect in Stanley's room, and he seems to as well! Let's see how long it takes for him to pull it down... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...